Sunday, November 16, 2008

Service Engine Here!

So, I'm at work, and as I'm driving I notice that my "Service Engine Soon" light has come on. I'm a little concerned, but it turns off after several seconds. Later, I'm driving down that same stretch of road, and it the light comes on again, and again turns off soon.

Twice must actually mean something, but I have no idea what. The next day I'm constantly checking my dash for the light, wondering if it will turn on again, and sure enough, it does. I try to "feel" through the car to find out what it wants, but it's not talking. Again, the light turns off by itself.

A short time later, I realize a connection. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on all three times as I was approaching Monteith Tire and Auto Service Center, and turned off after I passed it. Coincidence? Or sneaky futuristic advertising?

1 comment:

Andy said...

Coincidence, mostly, but I wouldn't put it past some people...

Most auto-parts stores have diagnostic computers that you can hook up and download the service data. My hunch is that you're either due for an oil change, or your oxygen sensor may be going out. Both are relatively simple fixes.